NCC LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT
A special thanks to Janine Hansen of Nevada Families for Freedom for her research and time at the Capital.
Oppose SJR2: The So-Called Equal Rights Amendment
It is imperative that we show up at the hearing on Monday, Feb. 20 at 3:30pm. In both Carson City and Las Vegas
The Equal Rights Amendment says:
Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.
The Equal Rights Amendment:
- Will transfer from the State Legislatures to the Federal Government all laws governing marriage, divorce, family property law, adoptions, abortions, alimony, some criminal laws, public and private schools, prison regulations, and insurance rates.
- Senator Sam Ervin said,” If this Equal Rights Amendment is adopted, it will virtually reduce the States of this Nation to meaningless zeroes on the Nation’s map.”
- Will put same-sex marriage and abortion into the US Constitution.
- Will require taxpayer funding of abortions.
- Will apply the draft registration law to 18-26 year-old women and serving in combat just like men.
- How will the US Supreme Court define “on account of sex”?
- ERA will take away Social Security rights of wives, widows, mothers and grandmothers which are based on their husbands earnings.
Sources and other information:
ERA: Another Effort to Sneak Abortion into the Constitution:http://liveactionnews.org/equal-rights-amendment-another-effort-sneak-abortion-constitution/
Do you know what ERA means? http://www.eagleforum.org/era/2003/ERA-Brochure.shtml
The Majority of States rejected the ERA. The ERA died after a 3 year extension on June 30, 1982. 15 states (AL, AR, AZ, FL, GA, IL, LA, MO, MS, NC, NV, OK, SC, UT, VA) voted against the ERA. 5 states rescinded their original ratification (ID, KY, NE, SD, TN). 6 states defeated the ERA on referendum (IA, NJ, NY, ME, VT, WI).
1. Share your opinion online: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/79th2017/A/
Committee Chairman: Nicole.Cannizzaro@sen.state.nv.us
Republican Members: James.Settelmeyer@sen.state.nv.us, Heidi.Gansert@sen.state.nv.us
Republican Minority leader: Michael.Roberson@sen.state.nv.us
3. Attend the hearing: Monday Feb 20, 3:30pm. Senate Legislative Operation & Elections Committee
In Carson City: Room 1214 of the Legislative Building, 401 S. Carson St., Rm. 1214
In Las Vegas: Videoconferenced to Room 4412 of the Grant Sawyer State Office Building, 555 E. Washington Ave.
4. Leave a phone message for individual Legislators:
Toll Free: 800-978-2878, 800-995-9080, 800-992-0973
Northern Nevada 775-684-6800, 775-684-6789
Southern Nevada 702-486-2626
Please Vote NO on SJR2 the so-called Equal Rights Amendment. The ERA will not help women. Women are not mentioned in the amendment. It will transfer from the State Legislature many critical laws including marriage, schools, prison regulations, abortion and adoption. It will put same sex marriage and abortion into the U.S. Constitution and require taxpayer funded abortions. (Or write your own message)
MESSAGE on email subject line: Vote NO SJR2 Oppose the so called Equal Rights Amendment
Bill Text: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/79th2017/Bills/SJR/SJR2.pdf
Please help Nevada Concerned Citizens keep you and others informed with a donation today.
Click here to Donate http://nevadaconcernedcitizens.org/